- Simon Rich is adapting his book, The Last Girlfriend on Earth, Man Seeking Woman, into a comedy series for FXX. (The show is described as being about a man who “enters the dating scene, a nightmarish hellscape of untold horror.” Hey, they got that right. Now we’ve just got to hope for a few laughs.)
- Dan Harmon (where have we heard that name before?) is prepping a 6th season of COMMUNITY for Yahoo, of all places, now that the show has been axed once again by NBC. (Which could mean that we’ll have to take Yahoo seriously when it comes to laughter. Um, anybody see what Yer Friendly Neighborhood Munchman did there? Anybody care?)
- Jeff Pinkner (FRINGE), Josh Appelbaum (LIFE ON MARS), Andre Nemec (STAR-CROSSED) and Scott Rosenberg (LIFE ON MARS) are co-writing the pilot for the new CBS drama series, ZOO, based on the novel of the same name by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge. (Which means a big payday for all the writers involved, you can bet your muncher on that – and also big aggravation for the WGAW credits department, which is not known for its love of 4-person writing teams. As in they’re generally, you know, denied.)
- Bryan Fuller (HANNIBAL) & Michael Green (THE RIVER HEROES, whatever that is) are co-writing a pilot for a Starz series adaptation of Neil Gaiman‘s, um, masterpiece actually, American God. (Which my munchiness would greet with unmitigated pleasure if I hadn’t wanted that gig so #@!$ing much. But this is still the best TV development news I’ve heard since I started writing this department! Fucking AMERICAN fucking GODS!)
- Katja Blichfeld & Ben Sinclair (newbies!) have deal to move their web series HIGH MAINTENANCE to Vimeo’s new on-demand service. (In other words, the New Age of Television is upon us. Real TV on the web. This is huger than a mega-blunt. Really. Yer Friendly Neighborhood Munchie Guy congratulates Katja, Ben, and the rest of the gang at Janky Clown Prods. Oh, and Vimeo too, for doing this…for us, the viewers.)
- Dan Harmon (COMMUNITY) is in talks with Hulu about bringing that very series to Hulu Plus for a sixth season. Dude wants “six seasons and a movie” and just ain’t gonna give up till he gets ’em. (So that means, what? That munchman still has to make nice to Dan cuz the Harmonizer may continue to be a force in the industry in spite of COMMUNITY being cancelled – again – by NBC? Damn, you have no idea how much energy this takes out of me….)
- Matthew Cole Weis (STANDING STILL) has sold his spec comedy pilot, THIS IS ME to Fox. (Looks like another version of THREE MEN AND A BABY since it’s about: “a twentysomething who gets custody of his 11-year-old brother and decides to raise him with the help of his motley crew of roommates.” But, hell, my mother liked THREE MEN AND A BABY, so who knows?)
- If you know anybody at Dreamworks, or Netflix, now’s the time to kiss up cuz Netflix is committed to “several” (So…more than 1?) new seasons of DREAMWORKS DRAGONS, a spinoff of HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON that’s been airing on Comedy Central till now. (Tip: Don’t say you’re Steven Spielberg’s buddy to get the gig. Another tip: Do say you’re his son or daughter, and if that works let me know so I can give it a try!)
And today’s amazing interweb video logline is:
The raging fangirl has gathered the greatest television writers around and they’re gonna write the best TV show of all time!
… or will they?
And wait till you see the guest stars.
Created by- Leigh Lahav
Backgrounds- Tom Trager
Script- Leigh Lahav, Oren Mendez, Tom Trager
Voices- Leigh Lahav, Tom Trager
Original music- Daniel Koren
One of the joys of working here at TVWriter™ has been bopping around the web discovering things like AXE COP, a web comic created by Malachai Nicolle, who at the time was a 5 year old boy living in Washington state, and illustrated by his almost-a-quarter-century-older brother Ethan.
AXE COP is a delightful celebration of well-intended mayhem, and it’s also become very, very popular. So popular, in fact, that Fox Network bought the rights, did the usual development thing, and, voila! at the riope old age of7, Malachai Nicolle is now the creator of a TV series. AXE COP, the TV series debuts July 27, featuring the voices of Nick Offerman, Megan Mullally (aha!), Patton Oswalt, and even COMMUNITY creator Dan Harmon.
Will it work? We smell a cult classic here at the very least. Stay tuned, doods. And, while you’re waiting, watch the damn clip:
Oh, and don’t forget: This could’ve been an article about you. Still could be if you get off your duff and write/draw/shoot that project you’ve been daydreaming about for years!
In my experience, every word this man says here is true. New writers and creators, the world is yours.
After a fashion.
The next time you post a peer produced video or do anything else you can think of to crash the show business gates, tell ’em Dan and LB sent you.