- Ali Rushfield (PARKS & RECREATION) is writing the ABC pilot about a middle-aged woman who finally starts to grow up when she moves in with a couple of 21-year-olds. (Oh well, maybe that idea sounds funny to 21 year old ABC D-girls?)
- Kristin Newman (THE NEIGHBORS) is also doing an ABC comedy pilot. This one’s called WOMEN & GIRLS and is about a middle-aged woman who moves in with her 20-something half sister. (Quick, somebody sell this one-note network another variation of the theme so we can all collect on the trifecta!)
- Jordon Nardino (SMASH) is also developing an ABC project, this one a drama called PRINCESS – and, thankfully, not about different generations of women moving in together. Nosirree, instead it’s about a contemporary version of Princess Di. (Oh well, look at the bright side. At least we all know how it’s going to end. After all, nobody watches TV to be surprised, right?)
- Michael Alaimo (MAJOR CRIMES) has sold a spec pilot called SPEC (how coincidental is that) to NBC. It’s a science fictiony drama based on something guru Deepak Chopra once said. (Which was along the lines that the universe is really a speck that can fit under a person’s fingernail. Get it? “Speck” got turned into “spec,” maybe because the execs were worried that nobody would know what to do with the extra K? Who says development isn’t stranger than the shows it develops?)
- Casey Wilson & June Diane Raphael (HAPPY ENDINGS, BRIDE WARS) are writing DINKS, another comedy for ABC. (We could swear that we reported on another show with the exact same name and premise – “Double Income No Kids” a few months ago. Guess ABC wasn’t reading this column…then.)
- Colleen McGuiness, Tina Fey & Robert Carlock (um, 30 ROCK, of course) are developing another workplace sitcom for NBC. Colleen’s the writer-producer. The others are producers, but since they’re also kinda writers we thought we’d mention them here. (Wonder how much it’ll resemble ROCK. Any guesses?)
- Melissa Carter (JANE BY DESIGN) is writing a 2-hour TV movie/backdoor pilot for Lifetime called DELIVERANCE CREEK, about post-Civil War stuff. (Think GONE WITH THE WIND with Scarlet O’Hara kicking butt. And then ask yourself, “But…why…?”)
- Wendy & Lizzy Molyneux (BOB’S BURGERTS) have a new deal to develop and produce projects for 20th Century Fox TV. (Jeeze,just because they’re writing for one of the funniest shows ever they get a big new deal? Hardly fair! Kidding, kidding…)
- Seth Grahame-Smith (ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER) has sold PARADISE a science fiction prison drama, to NBC. (The studio funding this project is Warner Brothers TV, making it hot, hot, hot in TV these days so be nice to WB prez Peter Roth. We’re betting that LB must wish he’d been a little toadier when he worked with Roth on THE FALL GUY back in the day.)
- Casey Wilson (HAPPY ENDINGS) has a deal with ABC to develop a new sitcom for her pal/partner June Diane Raphael to star in on the network. (Cuz, as ABC puts it, “They are incredibly talented superstars” even if we’ve never heard of them.)
…So that’s perfect network-think, hands down.
We, however, have to admit that we’re rooting for this one to work. It’s called THE HOUSEWIVES and is about three housewives in 1954, when our blessed mum was, in fact exactly one year old. (What does that have to do with anything? Just trying to show that we have some link to the time period, that’s all.)
Ms Raphael is reportedly negotiating to play one of the leads, which is awesome because we’ve loved her on Adult Swim’s NTSF:SD:SUV:: for, well, for the last several months at least since we only discovered the show in April of this year. Ms. Wilson, one of the stars of ABC’s HAPPY ENDINGS and an alum of the 2008 and 2009 seasons of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, will be too busy to do anything but write the pilot, we surmise, but we hope she can show her sweet punum in the new show also.
Are these two the new Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French? We hope so because it’s so much more fun looking into the future than reliving the past. ‘Luck, kids!
We, however, have to admit that we’re rooting for this project