It ain’t TV, but it’s a genuine writing gig that you can tell your friends and family about if you get it.
EDITOR’S NOTE: We aren’t recommending or guaranteeing this job, just letting you know it’s available. (Our lawyers made us say that.)
by Walter Glenn
How-To Geek, one of the largest and most influential tech sites on the web, is looking for a full-time technology writer that shares our passion for explaining tech.
Our readers love How-To Geek because of its unique voice. We’re not a website just for geeks—we are the geeks. We’re the people you turn to when your computer isn’t working right, you need to do something technical, or you want to understand the latest technology. We explain it all in simple, approachable terms. When providing instructions, we use lots of screenshots that make technical processes easy to follow.
What We’re Looking For
We’re looking for someone who is technically adept across multiple platforms (Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, networking, and other consumer technology) and who can dive into writing smart, engaging articles. This position is fully remote!
Here are some examples of the types of articles you’d be writing:
- How to Find Any Device’s IP Address, MAC Address, and Other Network Connection Details
- How to Use Virtual Desktops in Windows 10
- How to Stop Apple Pay from Opening on Your iPhone All the Time
- How to Transfer Apps to a New Android Device
- How to Log Into Your Mac Automatically Without a Password
- 3+ years of demonstrable writing experience on consumer technology at a major print or digital publication (you must be able to furnish published writing samples)
- High comfort level writing straightforward, practical, and instructional-style advice on technology to a lay audience
- Practical experience working with major operating systems (Windows, macOS, Android, iOS) and applications, as well as a solid grasp of general technology
- Ability to dive into new technology subjects and learn them quickly
- Ability to keep up with writing new articles and revising edits on submitted material daily
- Keeps up with the news surrounding those platforms and the world of technology in general
- Strong research skills
- Willingness to work closely with editors, but also able to write with minimal oversight
- Solid skills in taking and manipulating screenshots
- Experience working in WordPress preferable
- Deadline focused, with a get-things-done attitude
- Strong attention to detail with emphasis on accuracy and quality
- Ability to prioritize work to balance multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Self-motivated with a positive attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Basic working knowledge of SEO principles is a plus
- Write multiple short (400-1000 word) straightforward instructional posts per day on various platforms and technologies
- Write occasional longer, feature-length articles
- Generate new article ideas based on your own experience and also accept assignments from editors
- Update existing articles from our archive when needed
- This job is a temp-to-perm position. During this evaluation period, which can last up to, but no longer than, 3 months, we are offering $25/hour at 40 hours/week….