- Cole Haddon (DRACULA) is developing NOTTINGHAM, a BBC America project about how the Sheriff of Nottingham (you remember him) becomes this foresty thief – yeppers, Robin Hood – to atone for the bad stuff he has to do in his day job. (And guess what? The munchy one absolutely loves that idea cuz…Zorro in tights seems very, very cool.)
- Jonathan Groff (HAPPY ENDINGS) is the new showrunner for NBC’s new FIFTH WHEEL, created by interweb series writers Heidi Niedermeyer & Elena Crevello (SHIT PEOPLE SAY IN L.A.). (Criminy, gang, if ever there was a fifth wheel it’s Groff with his TV network sensibility. And yours truly was so looking forward to seeing two of our own – Heidi and Elena – kick broadcast television butt.)
- Brian Larsen (not any of the Brian Larsens on IMDB) is suing all kinds of folks involved with Showtime’s RAY DONOVAN, claiming that the network stole his concept and various details. However, he isn’t suing Ann Biderman, who is credited as the creator of the show. (Cuz he figures she was just an innocent dupe who agreed to write up an idea Showtime execs gave her? Well, it wouldn’t be the first time a writer did that. Yer favorite muncher will try to keep up with this one cuz once, just once, I’d like to find out if somebody’s allegations of series stealing are, you know, actually founded in some kind of reality. Preferably real reality, but this is TV so who knows?)
- Heidi Niedermeyer & Elena Crevello (SHIT PEOPLE IN L.A. SAY) have sold their spec pilot FIFTH WHEEL, a comedy about a young woman who is the only single person in her group of friends, to NBC.
- David Hornsby (HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN) is writing an untitled NBC comedy pilot about NASA in the fun-filled ’60s. The decade, we mean, not the age.
- Craig O’Neill (BURN NOTICE) is writing the pilot for the CBS drama, REAL DEAL, about an ambitious female FBI agent who teams up with a wildly uncontrollable woman informant. This one’s based on an article in “Glamor” written by Emily Benedek.
- Simon Beaufoy (SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE) has written the 10 part miniseries TELEMARK for FX.
- Chrissy Pietrosh & Jessica Goldstein (COUGAR TOWN) are writing LET’S PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED, an ABC comedy pilot based on a book by Jenny Lawson.
- Lisa Addario & Joe Syracuse (PARENTAL GUIDANCE) are writing another comedy pilot called RELATED for ABC. It’s about “a working-class New Jersey community where the saying ‘it takes a village’ takes on new meaning with shared mothers-in-law and unique family loyalties.”
- Mark Levin & Jennifer Flackett (newbies!) are developing the CBS comedy THE MAN’S GUIDE TO LOVE, which is based on, um, their website of the same name.
Whew, made it through our second day of snarkless writing deal announcements. Gotta admit that it was touch and go there for awhile, especially when we had to keep our face straight about a title like LET’S PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED, and a writing credit like HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN. Not that we mean any disrespect to the writer, or to any gentlemen out there. It’s just that this is yet another credit announced with great fanfare that we, well, that we’ve never heard of.
Our Big Question today, though, is how’re we doing? Are y’all pleased with our new-found journalistic sobriety? Or are you dying for us to go back to our bad old ways? Drop a line and let us know!