- Karl Schaefer (EUREKA) is showrunning Syfy’s new zombie drama Z NATION. (The series is already a go, so if you know Karl, or have some zombie adventure cred, have your peeps get in touch with his peeps and get your awesome self on the staff of the show.)
- Art Linson & John Linson (SONS OF ANARCHY) have a new overall deal with HBO, starting with the drama series, YELLOWSTONE about, uh, violence in Montana. (The munchy one has absolutely no interest in Montana, so no way am I going to watch this if it gets on the air. Well, maybe if I get on staff. Yeah, if I’m writing the damn thing I’ll be glad to watch. But only my eps, dudes, cuz that’s how munchies roll.)
- Steven Knight (LOCKE) is writing an 8-part BBC drama called TABOO, about a 19th century adventurer fighting with the East India Company. (Ooh, man versus corporation. I can hardly wait. What could be better than watching the guy who broke Batman’s back go up against a corporate charter? Thing better be made of some very thick paper!)
- David Milch has extended his overall deal with HBO. (Evidently cuz HBO thinks that having a hack has-been who’s last decent work was on the air almost a decade ago is preferable to letting anybody new and/or under 60 into the building. The Milchman is gobbling up a piece of the pie that could’ve been yours, mine, or anybody else’s. The only Big Name who’s gone lower than Milchovic is Bruce Springsteen, who now makes his living covering hits recorded by dudes at least a century younger than his botoxed self. Oh, brave new world – why hast thou forsaken us? Or something like that.)
End of rant. Buh-bye for now!
- Jay Beattie & Dan Dworkin (CRIMINAL MINDS) are writing the horror drama pilot SCREAM, based on the successful film franchise, for MTV. (Chalk up another victory for ye olde tried-and-true, both in terms of the writers and the project.)
- Carter Covington (HART OF DIXIE) is writing the pilot for MTV’s sitcom FAKING IT. (Ah, MTV, we applaud your embrace of scripted television with palms that are smacking together so loud that it hurts!)
- Which reminds us that Ben Epstein (DADDY’S GIRLS) is also developing an MTV comedy pilot titled HAPPYLAND. (We don’t want to reveal too much about it cuz the synopsis sounds great and we’re afraid that if we tell you we’ll all get crushed together if it doesn’t pan out.)
- David Milch (DEADWOOD) is developing THE MONEY, a drama about – duh – rich people, at HBO. (Wonder what excuse he’ll come up this time when he abandons the series halfway through. You know, like DEADWOOD and LUCK.)
- Jonathan Lisco (SOUTHLAND) will be showrunner of AMC’s upcoming series HALT & CATCH FIRE as part of this new overall deal with the network. (AMC is the new TNT. Ahh.)
We have perfected the cop show.