Latest News About Writers Who Are Doing Better Than We Are
SPECIAL EDITION, OOH!
Somehow, yer friendly neighborhood munchcadero has managed to fall behind on this season’s development deals. That’s right, brothers and sisters, even with having gone daily on this subject I still haven’t been keeping up with all the richness of creativity exchanging itself for buckets full of bucks. Oh, those crazy, zany development execs, turning out all those deals so they can justify their jobs.
So today, in an attempt to catch up a bit, I’m going to reel out all the remakes and reboots and re-examinations I haven’t yet reported on. Brace yerselves:
The Ridiculously Unjustified Reboots (in my munching eyes anyway):
- LOST IN SPACE, which is being developed by Matt Sazama & Burk Sharpless of DRACULA UNTOLD. Which, yeppers, sank without a trace at your local theater just a few weeks ago.
- IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, which is being written and directed yet, by Tate Taylor of THE HELP and GET ON UP, two feature films a couple of people loved.
- RUSH HOUR, which is being adapted from the film by Bill Lawrence & Blake McCormick of COUGAR TOWN, which of course makes them perfect for an action series.
- A series called AMERICAN CRIME STORY brought to us by Ryan Murphy & Brad Falchuk of AMERICAN HORROR STORY fame, which while technically brand new in every way, is going to feel like a reboot cuz the first season long crime is going to be an oldie but a goodie in and of itself: The magical tale of O.J. Simpson, who may or may not have killed two people and gotten away with it while thrilling millions of fans all around the world.
The Shows that Just Might Work cuz…Literature:
- The Lemony Snicket books, which Netflix is bringing to our mini-and-maxi device screens, possibly with original writer Daniel Handler doing the deed.
- Faust, yeppers, really, to be written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, aka the head writer of Archie Comics.
- Little Women, to be written by Jordan Roberts, best known for his current big success BIG HERO 6, which of course makes him perfect for a story like this one.
- The Last Tycoon, being written by Billy Ray of CAPTAIN PHILLIPS fame
- Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, which is envisioned as an animated series (whew!) written by somebody nobody involved is telling us about.
The Shows Peeps Like Me Might Actually Be Interested In cuz…video games:
- MORTAL COMBAT, in live-action yet
- MYST, which, yeppers, the munchalada knows this was like our granddad’s video game, but c’mon, kids, it still looked really cool. Especially to 11 year olds who were still naive enough then to drool on the mysterious pictures.
One for the Road:
- CBS is planning a new digital channel called “Decades,” described as “a national entertainment programming service for distributions across local television stations’ digital subchannels…[and]…local cable systems….The channel will mine the CBS library to air such series as I LOVE LUCY, STAR TREK, HAPPY DAYS, etc. Hey, wasn’t this what Nick at Night was supposed to be for once upon a time?
That’s it for now. Write in and tell munchilito what you’ve sold today. TVWriter™ can’t wait to brag to all your friends. (And, more importantly, enemies. Hehehe….)