Yeah, BARBARELLA. Produced/Directed by Nicolas Refn. Starring Who Knows? No network specified yet.
- It doesn’t star Jane Fonda
- Hippies don’t watch TV
- Jane Fonda probably doesn’t even watch TV
- The director is a foreigner who isn’t Roger Vadim
- Jane Fonda isn’t even Jane Fonda anymore anyway
There is, however, one way to save this show:
- Add visual scrumptiousness, heaps of sex, and lots of P.R. about being faithful to the original comics conception. The TV audience doesn’t give a blind angel’s wings about any of that, but blissfully ignorant fandom will step in and add at least 1 undeserved season to its life
Oh, that’s Jane Fonda in the pic above. According to her autobiography, Vadim, who directed the original BARBARELLA and micro-managed Jane Fonda both as Barbarella and as, well, Jane Fonda, created huge self-doubt issues for her that she’s only now getting over. But that look he also created for her has to have been worth it. Ask any current reality show starlet. Go ahead.